Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Block 54

This block was a bit of a pain for me.  I should have followed my first instincts, but oh well.  You can learn from my mistakes! :)

The line diagram in my book was a little off.  I figured I could fudge the measurements...  That might have worked if I was more consistent in where I took the measurements.  Eventually I ended up re-drawing this block and making sure things lined up.  After that, it was a dream.

Here is everything laid out and ready to go.  The little pile to the side are the flying geese.

Here's our next step with the centre 9-patch completed.  The flying geese in place and the outer triangles attached to the white strip.  I realize that the white strip will be a point in the final block but I find it easier to cut a longer rectangle and then trim things down when the block is all sewn together.

Here is the centre assembled, it was put together as a 9-patch.

Then the next border added.

And finally the outer border added and the block trimmed down.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

The end product looks fabulous!!!

Yvette said...

Love it!

sewprimitive karen said...

Love your beginning layout shots!